The following is an excerpt from The Upstream Collective‘s ebook, Receiving Sent Ones During Reentry: The Challenges of Returning “Home” and How Churches Can Help. Used with permission.
When it comes to the topic of returning sent ones, an ebook can only scratch the surface. So today’s post is dedicated to the many resources available to you on this important topic.
Also, if you just want practical next steps, check out Upstream’s guide, Returning Sent Ones Checklist. If you would prefer coaching, contact Upstream here. And if you really want to go for gold, get involved in the lives of returning sent ones, and learn from them while loving them.
Understanding Sent Ones
- Thomas Hale & Gene Daniels, On Being a Missionary
- William Taylor, Too Valuable to Lose: Exploring the Causes and Cures of Missionary Attrition
- David C. Pollock & Ruth E. Van Reken, Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds
- Sue Eenigenburg & Robynn Bliss, Expectations and Burnout: Women Surviving the Great Commission
- Robert J. Suderman, Calloused Hands, Courageous Souls: Holistic Spirituality of Development and Mission
- John Piper, David Brainerd: May I Never Loiter on My Heavenly Journey!
- Marge Jones, Psychology of Missionary Adjustment
- Carrie Sydnor Coffman, Weary Warriors: Lessons from Christian Workers Who Burned Out
Caring for Sent Ones
- The Upstream Collective, “Establishing Advocacy Teams” (PDF)
- Catalyst Services, “Missionary Care: Where Does a Church Begin?” (PDF)
- Rob Hay, Valerie Lim, Detlef Blocher, Jaap Ketelaar, & Sarah Hay, Worth Keeping: Global Perspectives on Best Practice in Missionary Retention
- Kelly O’Donnell, Doing Member Care Well: Perspectives and Practices from Around the World
- Kelly O’Donnell, Missionary Care: Counting the Cost for World Evangelization
- Kelly O’Donnell, Global Member Care, Volume I
- Neal Pirolo, Serving as Senders Today: How to Care for Your Missionaries as They Prepare to Go, Are On the Field, and Return Home
Caring for Returning Sent Ones
- The Upstream Collective, “Returning Sent Ones Checklist” (PDF)
- Neal Pirolo, The Reentry Team: Caring for Your Returning Missionaries
- Peter Jordan, Re-Entry: Making the Transition from Missions to Life at Home
- Marion Knell, Burn-Up or Splash Down: Surviving the Culture Shock of ReEntry
- Missions Training International, Debriefing and Renewal Retreats
- Missions Training International, Children’s Debriefing and Renewal Retreats
- Craig Storti, The Art of Coming Home
- Clyde N. Austin, Cross-Cultural Reentry: A Book of Readings
- Melissa Chaplin, Returning Well: Your Guide to Thriving Back “Home” After Serving Cross-Culturally
- Debbie Lovell Hawker, “Debriefing Aid Workers: A Comprehensive Manual” (PDF)